Make colourful, mouth-watering allergy-friendly chocolate candies that are free from peanuts, tree nuts and gluten. Tree nuts in Canada include Almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, pecans, pine nuts, pistachios and walnuts.
We have only used those ingredients that are labelled as tree nut-free, peanut-free and gluten-free. These are available in Canada.
Search brand-verified and community-reviewed allergy-friendly products.
This simple, step-by-step recipe is perfect for children and adults alike. Feel free to other use allergy-friendly products to customize these treats further!
Ingredients and Other items
Dark Chocolate chips
- Quantity: 1 Cup
We used the sugar-free Camino dark chocolate chips for this recipe. Feel free to find alternative allergy friendly chocolate chips based on your food allergies, food intolerances and dietary beliefs. If you prefer a sweeter chocolate candy, you may want to use semi-sweet chocolate chips instead.
White chocolate chips
- Quantity: 1 Cup
We used Camino white chocolate chips for this recipe.
Soy butter or butter substitute
- Quantity: 1 tbsp soy butter or butter substitute
We used Wowbutter soy butter creamy for this particular recipe. Based on our experience with other allergy-friendly recipes, the creamy version works better. Those who prefer a crunchier chocolate, may prefer the crunchy version.
- Quantity: 1 to 2 drops per colour
We used red, yellow, and green colours from Exclusive brands for this recipe. We strongly recommend using small quantities of darker prime colours.
- Quantity: 1 to 3
We used three separate moulds to add some shape variety. These are easily available at Amazon.
- Quantity: As desired.
Although these are available in many shapes and sizes, we used the smallest spherical form available from Twinkle Baker Decor.
Decorative colour gels (Optional)
- Quantity: 1 to 3
We used the red, green and yellow colours to complement the food colouring colours.
Preparing the Dark Chocolate Mixture
- Melt the Chocolate: In a microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 cup of dark chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of butter alternative or Wowbutter.
- Microwave: Warm the mixture in the microwave for 1.5 minutes at 50% power. Pause and stir every 30 seconds to ensure even melting.
- Stir: After heating, stir until smooth and well-blended.
- Tip: The butter makes the chocolate smoother and allows it to melt easily in your mouth.
Preparing the White Chocolate Mixture
- Melt the White Chocolate: Place 1 cup of white chocolate chips in a separate microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave: Warm for 1.5 minutes at 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Stir: Stir until smooth and free-flowing.
- Divide and Color: Separate the melted white chocolate into two or three bowls. Add a one to two drops of food colouring to each and stir until completely blended.
- Tip: We recommend using red, yellow, and green colours to brighten up the mood.
Assembling the Candies
- Prepare Molds: Optionally, add sprinkles to the bottom of the empty candy moulds. These will appear on the top of your finished candies.
- Fill the Molds: Spoon the dark chocolate mixture into some moulds and the coloured white chocolate mixture into others.
- Mix and Match: For a blend of flavours, fill half of each mould with white chocolate and the other half with dark chocolate.
- Note: If you're doing half-and-half, refrigerate the first layer for a few minutes before adding the second layer.
- Refrigerate: Once all moulds are filled, refrigerate for at least 5 minutes to allow the candies to set.
- Unmold: Carefully remove the candies from the moulds.
- Decorate: Optionally, add decorative colour gels for an extra touch.
- Enjoy: Your allergy-friendly chocolate candies are now ready to be enjoyed!
That's it! You've created a delicious, allergen-free treat that everyone can enjoy. Feel free to get creative with the colours and shapes for different occasions!
We want to hear from you if you are:
- An allergy-friendly manufacturer with either a GFSI-certified facility or one that follows HACCP-certified practices, and that also has a robust allergen control policy.
- A charity that supports the food allergy and intolerance community.
- A supporter who wishes to submit a correction or feature request.
This post is for informational purposes and reflects research up to the last update. Flappd verifies the allergen control policies of affiliated manufacturers, marking such products with a "verified manufacturing" label on images. However, liability for product safety and labeling remains with the manufacturers.
Always consult healthcare providers and review product labels before consumption. We do not endorse the mentioned brands and cannot guarantee complete allergen safety.
The content may undergo updates to reflect verification changes. Utilize the provided information at your own risk.